Thursday, June 01, 2006

unusable dialogue

i try not to date my work, so when i came up with the following, i had to promptly throw it out. don't worry, i haven't started yet, i just came up with it to provide some characterization.

“What the hell is your problem?”
“You should be asking about your problem,” she said.
“Okay, then, what’s my problem?”
“What year is it?” she asked.
He hesitated.
“2007”
“No, it’s not,” she said. “It’s still 2006, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Do you want me to go on?”
“No.”

i think i'm on the verge of a breakthrough, though. i've been analyzing what i want out of this story and how to go about it, and i've found out what i've been doing wrong. my characters don't want to do anything. i could blame this on my skills as a writer, but i really have to chalk this one up to my personality. i don't want to do anything. i do sort of want to write a book, but it would be quite a dull novel if it chronicled that.

I wrote out the following:

Possible goals:
Create
Find
Save
Hate
Protect
Escape

So my character will have to do at least one of those. that will be his motivation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home